Saturday, April 23, 2011

Politics and the Internet

Versus


Who says that Singaporeans do not care about politics?

Ms Tin Pei Ling (Top left) and Ms Nicole Seah (Top right) are the most talked about election candidate right now.
Google search for "Nicole Seah" increased exponentially in the past few days, whereas searches for "Tin Pei Ling" increased steadily.
Although it does not show people's attitudes towards them, at least we know that not all Singaporeans are ill-informed or apathetic about our politics.

Yes, I have to agree that our one-party dominated political situation may not be the most exciting, but I would like to think that many young Singaporeans are still concerned about local politics.


For the 2011 General Election, the PAP unveiled their youngest candidate Ms Tin Pei Ling ,27, for the Marine Parade GRC.
By now, I'm certain that many people have already heard about her, either through the internet, television news or your peers.
Prior to her involvement in politics, Ms Tin was a senior associate for Ernst & Young, and is married to Ng How Yue, principal private secretary to PM Lee.

Ms Tin has received lots of bad publicity recently, mainly due to her behavior and comments.
In 2007, she said in a speech that the widening income gap between the rich and poor is not the government's responsibility. She has also been criticized to on the internet to 'lack substance' and not having a clear stand on key political issue.
Not only so, a video showcasing her immature behavior, or inappropriate behavior for a politician, has also been posted on YouTube and has since gone viral.


All these led to a smear campaign against her on the internet.
Her private life is also being used against her in many of the nasty comments posted online.
Popular local political commentator, Mr Brown, also wrote her a poem which is now very popular on the internet.

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here’s what she said to me.
Que Pei Ling, Pei Ling,
Get a rich husband, forget how old is he,
The future is as bright as can be,
Que Pei Ling, Pei Ling
Ferrari, LV….
When I was 25, I got married,
I asked my husband what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here’s what my hubby said.
Que Pei Ling, Pei Ling,
I work in Pee A Pee,
the money keeps pouring in,
Que Pei Ling, Pei Ling
Lambogini, Gucci…
Now I am in Pee A Pee
I ask Matthias, where will I stand,
Will it be SMC or will it be GRC,
This is what he says to me.
Que Pei Ling, Pei Ling,
Just act cute and smile,
Marine Parade is it,
when you see uncle Goh
Easy… Peesy…
.


Another candidate that is widely talked about now is Ms Nicole Seah ,24.
She will be a candidate for the National Solidarity Party (NSP) in the coming election.
She is an advertising executive for a MNC and is also a graduate from the University Scholar Program of NUS, just like Ms Tin Pei Ling.

The interesting thing is that she will be up against Ms Tin, in the fight for Marine Parade GRC.

Marine Parade GRC has never been contested since 1992,
but the Ms Seah and fellow candidates sure hope to shake things up a little in this coming general election.
Although I don't think that the NSP has a chance at winning, all this buzz sure makes the general election more appealing to the younger generation.


No comments:

Post a Comment